Who invented the solar water heater?

- Dec 13, 2020-

Historical review of solar energy utilization According to records, mankind has used solar energy for more than 3000 years. The use of solar energy as an energy source and power has only a history of more than 300 years. The real use of solar energy as "an urgently needed supplementary energy in the near future" and the "foundation of the future energy structure" is a recent thing. Since the 1970s, solar energy technology has advanced by leaps and bounds, and the use of solar energy has changed with each passing day. The history of modern solar energy utilization can be counted from the French engineer Solomon de Cox invented the first solar-powered engine in the world in 1615. The invention is a machine that uses solar energy to heat air to expand and perform work to pump water. Between 1615 and 1900, many solar power plants and some other solar power plants were developed in the world. Almost all of these power devices use concentrating methods to collect sunlight. The engine power is not large, and the working fluid is mainly water vapor, which is expensive and has little practical value. Most of them are researched and manufactured by solar enthusiasts. In the 100 years of the 20th century, the history of solar technology development can be roughly divided into seven stages, which are introduced below. The first stage (1900-1920) At this stage, the focus of solar energy research in the world is still solar power devices, but the use of diversified concentrating methods, and the use of flat-plate collectors and low-boiling point working fluids, the devices are gradually expanded, with a maximum output of 73.64kW. The practical purpose is relatively clear, and the cost is still high. Typical installations built are: In 1901, a solar pumping device was built in California, USA, using a truncated cone concentrator, power: 7.36kW; in 1902-1908, five sets of dual-cycle solar engines were built in the US, using flat panels Collector and low boiling point working fluid; in 1913, a solar water pump composed of 5 parabolic trough mirrors was built in the south of Cairo, Egypt, each with a length of 62.5m and a width of 4m, with a total lighting area of 1250m2